Diana Hammer is our Community Resource Development Educator.
We provide educational information and process support for productively making decisions in your local government, business, non-profit, or community group.
We research and respond to needs in the areas of entrepreneurship, workforce development and inclusion, energy use/sustainability/extreme weather events, outdoor air quality, local government, radon prevention, hazardous waste disposal, and well water quality.
Our work is guided by the priorities of local government officials, business leaders, and residents in Fond du Lac County. Please let us know how UW-Extension can work with you.
Diana habla inglés y español. Línea directa: 920/929-3178.
See Healthy Air, Healthy Us for more information on radon, local energy conservation and renewables, and air quality.
- Get Ozone Alerts By E-Mail July 1, 2016Warm temperatures had some people seeing orange. That was the color of the federal Air Quality Index (AQI), meaning “unhealthy air for sensitive groups,” for 15 counties in Wisconsin. Higher temperatures mean higher ozone levels, which can harm the elderly, young children, and anyone with a respiratory or cardiac disease. The Department of Natural Resource […]
- Fond du Lac County Wind Energy August 29, 2018When asked about wind energy in Fond du Lac County and Wisconsin statewide, Sherrie Gruder, Sustainable Design Specialist and Energy Specialist at the University of Wisconsin-Extension, provided this interesting information: In total Wisconsin has 461 wind turbines that supply 746 MW of power. Our part of the state has an excellent wind resource given the Ni […]
- Launch your Business with IGNITE! July 24, 2018Do you have a business or want to start one IGNITE! Business Success is the network of 16 organizations in Fond du Lac County that are ready to help you with your dream. At these upcoming (and free) events, you can meet us and other innovators in the area. Tuesday, August 14, 5-7pm, at THELMA […]
- Well Water Sampling Options June 2, 2016UW-Extension recommends that well owners sample their well at least once per year, at a different time of the year. You can test your water through the Fond du Lac County Health Department, the UW-Extension lab in Stevens Point, the State Lab of Hygiene or other private laboratories in the area. Below are descriptions of […]
- Non-Profit Boards March 4, 2015Educational Materials for Non-profit Boards Available as free PDF downloads from BoardSource Board Dynamics and Processes – FAQs Board Meetings – FAQs Board Leadership Board Action Calendar (legal documents that need to be filed and other recommended annual processes) Fiduciary Responsibilities of board members Board Orientation Common Board Shortcomings (to […]
- Succession Planning for Non-profits April 16, 2014Intentionally preparing for the departure of executive directors, board members, and staff is a key way to maintain stability in organizations of any size. As high quality personnel and volunteers rotate through terms, quit, or retire, organizations with succession plans are able to maintain high levels of performance and continuity. In this workshop for non […]
- RADON IS SPOOKY October 22, 2015Radon doesn’t rattle chains or say, “Boo!” But it is the leading cause of lung cancer among people who have never smoked. Radon is a naturally-occurring, invisible radioactive gas which can be controlled in any home. The only way to know the radon level is to measure. Do it yourself or hire a professional. About […]
- Radon-Resistant New Home Construction September 30, 2010Building a new home that includes a radon mitigation system is much simpler than adding a mitigation system after the house is already built. It is also inexpensive ($300-$600). Learn more about radon resistant construction. Radon for Builders and Contractors (EPA) What are the risks of radon? For more information, contact Diana at UW-Extension (920.929.3173 […]
- Radon Testing at Home September 30, 2010Radon is a radioactive gas found in homes in every part of Fond du Lac County. Testing for it is inexpensive, and mitigating is straight-forward.
Waste & Recycling
- City of Fond du Lac Computer/Electronics Recycling Event April 16, 2018CITY OF FOND DU LAC COMPUTER/ELECTRONIC RECYCLING EVENT (INDOORS) 1 DAY ONLY – CITY RESIDENTS ONLY SATURDAY, APRIL 21ST, 2018 9:00 AM TO 3:00 PM Location: INSIDE THE CITY MUNICIPAL SERVICE CENTER GARAGE 530 Doty Street, Fond du Lac, WI RECYCLING FEES All TV’s (any size or type) $20.00 / CRT Monitors $10.00 CASH ONLY […]
- Fond du Lac County Clean Sweep February 20, 2018On April 28, 2018, the Fond du Lac County Land and Water Conservation Department will hold a clean sweep at the highway department from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Household and agricultural chemicals can be brought for proper disposal. Old, expired, and potentially hazardous chemicals are accepted. Workers in protective clothing will remove the items […]
- Empire Water Sampling 2018 September 12, 2018Well Water Sampling Program Town of Empire invites area families to sample drinking well water Reasons to Test Through This Program: Understand Risk: Testing reveals what, if any, contaminants are in your drinking water Your Children’s Health: Kids, especially babies and pregnant women, are more vulnerable to certain contaminants Increased Confidence in Wate […]
- Waupun Area Water Sampling Opportunity February 20, 2018Waupun Area Families with private drinking water wells are invited to sample drinking water with Rock River Intermediate School and UW-Extension. View Details & Secure Registration Options through Eventbrite Información en español (PDF, 2 pages) o habla a Diana a 920/929-3178 Reasons to Test Through This Program: Understand Risk: Testing reveals what, if […]
- Oakfield Area Well Sampling Opportunity – 2017 February 23, 2017Town of Oakfield invites area families to sample drinking well water. View Details & Secure Registration Options through Eventbrite Reasons to Test Through This Program: Understand Risk: Testing reveals what, if any, contaminants are in your drinking Your Children’s Health: Kids, especially babies and pregnant women, are more vulnerable to certain Increa […]
- Dip Into Lakes Videos June 22, 2015Videos from the Dip Into Lakes seminar series are now available online at the links below or on DVD. A DVD can be purchased for $5 (cash or check) by contacting the UW-Extension. Getting to Know Lakes by Chad Cook, UW-Extension Natural Resources Educator Winnebago Natural History by Art Techlow, WDNR Winnebago System Fisheries Biologist […]
- Waterfront property values, healthy fish, and lot improvements August 8, 2013When we develop waterfront lots, trees, and native plants are replaced by impervious (hard) surfaces. Driveways, rooftops, and other hard surfaces decrease the ability of the shoreland area to serve its natural functions. A variety of educational materials including brochures, posters, and a video about how impervious surfaces affect fish, wildlife and water […]
- Winnebago Waterways Update July 1, 2013Thank you to all area residents and users of the Lake Winnebago System who “weighed in” this spring on what they thought the most important issues of the system are and what actions are most important to take immediately to improve and protect the lakes. All responses and discussions have been compiled, and the final […]
- Natural Resources: Weigh in on the Winnebago Waterways February 28, 2013Do you fish, swim, or boat on the Winnebago waterways? Do you own a business near a shoreline or live near one? The Department of Natural Resources is gathering feedback in a special project through April of 2013. Have your say online and at public meetings. You may also sign up for occasional updates via […]
- Natural Resources Expertise Available July 19, 2012The University of Wisconsin-Extension, in partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and other agencies and organizations, supports a Regional Natural Resources Program. This program includes a network of educators located throughout Wisconsin, with expertise in water resources, forestry, citizen engagement, process facilitation, and des […]
- Celebrating our Heritage October 30, 2017“Latinos Unidos en Fond du Lac” (Latinos United in Fond du Lac) is a community group (youth and adults) that has been working together for a year with the purpose to connect, educate, and empower Latinos in our county. In September, the group hosted a Celebration of Independence event. This was a cultural event to […]
- Business Success Interviews May 18, 2017From August 2014 – October 2015, local researchers from UW-Extension and Ripon College met with 35 Fond du Lac County entrepreneurs who shared their start-up and business experiences, challenges, and successes. All participants were African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, and/or immigrants. This Business Success Interviews Infographic Report shows […]